How to write a Compare and Contrast Essay: format, structure, outline, examples, topics
Writing a compare and contrast essay
This type of essay is basically a composition, which is concentrated on two points. The compare and contrast essay reveals the differences and the similarities of these two points, things, situations, etc. The main task of any writer is to find as many similarities and a difference, as it is possible.
How to write a compare and contrast essay?
In order to write a professional compare and contrast essay it is necessary to remember that it is vital to identify the points of comparison. This is a major requirement because without this proper identification the essay will not have a correct logical form. To make a detailed compare and contrast essay the first step is to point out the key aspects and do a research on the topic including articles and books.
Compare and contrast essay structure
The compare and contrast essay has a rather simple structure but nevertheless it is important to specify its contents:
Introduction (Introduction is used to choose what will be compared and contrasted and to identify the major lines of comparison. The introduction must be very bright as it is supposed to catch the attention of the reader and make the rest of the essay appealing to the reader. One of the main secrets of any successful compare and contrast essay introduction is adding a surprising fact or an anecdote on the topic of discussion).
- Each of the compared points has to be presented in a separate paragraph or if it is necessary in two paragraphs.
- When all the compared points are revealed to the reader the writer is suggested to put analyze them one more time together in order to put in one solid comprehension of the essay. The paragraphs must be connected with each other with very strong topic sentences. The reader is not supposed to face any difficulties understanding the reason the material is organized the way it is. In other words the reader is expected to understand the reason the writer is analyzing these given aspects.
- The body should be critically read, as each topic sentence has to clearly summarize the main point of the paragraph.
- For better result the body should be analyzed from the perspective of an independent analytic, so it should be read a day after it was written or by another trusted person for review.
Conclusion (Conclusion is used to summarize the key similarities and differences of the two analyzed things. Word for word restatements should be avoided. The reader is not supposed to feel any doubt in the compare and contrast essay perspective on the topic).
Compare and Contrast Essay Examples
This site also includes compare and contrast essay examples for you convenience. Each sample of compare and contrast essay provided by custom-essays.org is absolutely free.
View all Compare and Contrast Essay Examples
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and contrast essays can be written on many different topics which base on comparison of two or more subjects, theories, personalities, events etc. Delicate approach to the choice of a topic or keen understanding of the one topic is the key element of good essay writing. If you hesitate either on choosing the essay topic or the idea for Compare and contrast essay please feel free to contact us and we gladly help you any time you need assistance.
View all Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
How to Do a Compare and Contrast Essay Outline
Click to see example
The content of a compare and contrast essay is about two different, yet relatively related entities which are critically analyzed on the basis of their similarities or differences. The approach to a compare and contrast paper must therefore be objective in disentangling the subject and highlighting their common characteristics. The paper should be clear and comprehensive to avoid misconstrued elements that confuse the reader on the points outlined by the writer. The entities discussed in a compare and contrast paper must relate to having some common similarities while still distinguishable to show how they differ from one another.
This article offers guidelines whilst outlining tips on how to write a perfect compare and contrast essay and citing relevant examples where appropriate.
Tips concerning introduction writing
Here are some tips to consider when writing a compare and contrast paper introduction:
- The introduction of a compare and contrast paper must define the two or more principle subjects of the topic.
- The writer has to come up with a good and interesting hook for the paper to capture the attention of the reader and influence him/her to go through the whole.
- The introduction can also feature the definition of the principle terms to be compared and contrasted.
- To have a good introduction, ensure that it is short, clear and interesting without giving much detail.
- Include a thesis statement in the latter parts of the introduction paragraph to show the purpose and significance of the paper to the reader.
Tips on thesis writing
Thesis writing on a compare and contrast essay is largely founded on the main reason of the work.
- Place the thesis as the last sentence of the introductory paragraph.
- Use conditioned word to write the thesis statement such as; although, whereas, while, etc.
- Ensure you aptly show each of the discussable entities addressed in the paper.
- Narrow the focus of the paper to avoid overly broad content which may not be necessary.
- Include the specific purpose of the paper in the thesis statement.
Guidelines on body paragraphs
To write a great paper, keep in mind that in a compare and contrast essay writing, the author must show the distinctive characteristic of the subject entities.
- Each paragraph must carry its point.
- Write either the similarities or differences first and the other later.
- For the differences, each paragraph should show how the two different entities differ before proceeding to the next paragraph.
- Write short paragraphs that are clear, precise and specific to avoid ambiguity.
- Ensure you have an outline that makes you to adhere to the relevant and important details for your essay.
Tips on writing the outline
The importance of an outline for a compare and contrast paper is indispensable. The outline keeps the writer focused on the relevant elements of the subject topic. Orderliness and logical flow of ideas are of paramount importance in writing compare and contrast essay outlining to avoid ambiguity and confusion when writing the final draft.. Here are some of the tips for compare and contrast essay outline writing.
- Put down the similarities and differences of the entities in shorthand
- The compare and contrast paper outline should at least capture all the main points to be discussed
- Number your points
- Write the strongest points first
- Insert subtopics from topics followed by a short description
Tips on conclusion writing
The conclusion is a powerful part of the entire paper that brings together the two related yet antagonizing entities. Here are some tips for writing a perfect conclusion for a comparison and contrasting paper.
- Write a general summary of the points in the body paragraphs
- Reassert the thesis statement
- Base your conclusion on data/evidence presented above and not personal opinions
- The summary should not convey the content in the same words used in the body, but emphatically state the point in a new and convincing way
- Keep the conclusion short, concise and objective
The following is a perfect example of how a compare and contrast paper outline is written. The example of a compare and contrast paper outline below shows the format and general appearance of compare and contrast papers.
Dogs Vs Cats
Introduction to the broad topic – Cats and Dogs are some of the animals largely domesticated by man.
Thesis statement –in this paper, the differences and similarities of dogs and cats are discussed in details featuring the important details.
- Both are domestic animals
- They are both carnivorous
- Both are pets
- Dogs are bigger than cats
- Fully grown cats have 30 teeth while dogs have 42
- Dogs are more easily trainable than cats
Summary of main points – some of the differences discussed above include about their dental formula, trainability, and physical attributes. Their most pronounced attributes include their carnivorous nature and considered to be pets.